CE6501 SA 1 2marks
Anna University Regulation 2013 CIVIL CE6501 SA 1 2marks & 16marks for all 5 units are provided below. CE6501 SA 1 Short answers, Question Bank for STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS I are listed down for students to make perfect utilization and score maximum marks with our study materials.
CE 6501 – STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS – I
UNIT I – INDETERMINATE FRAMES
Part – 1
1. Why is it necessary to compute deflections in structures?
Computation of deflection of structures is necessary for the following reasons:
a. If the deflection of a structure is more than the permissible, the structure will not look aesthetic and will cause psychological upsetting of the occupants.
b. Excessive deflection may cause cracking in the materials attached to the structure. For example, if the deflection of a floor beam is excessive, the floor finishes and partition walls supported on the beam may get cracked and unserviceable.
2. What is meant by cambering technique in structures?
Cambering is techniques applied on site, in which a slight upward curve is made in the structure/ beam during construction, so that it will straighten out and attain the straight shape during loading. This will considerably reduce the downward deflection that may occur at later stages.
3. Name any four methods used for computation of deflections in structures.
- 1. Double integration method 2. Macaulay’s method
3. Conjugate beam method
4. Moment area method
- 5. Method of elastic weights
6. Virtual work method- Dummy unit load method 7. Strain energy method
8. Williot Mohr diagram method
4. State the difference between strain energy method and unit load method in the determination of deflection of structures.
In strain energy method, an imaginary load P is applied at the point where the deflection is desired to be determined. P is equated to zero in the final step and the deflection is obtained. In unit load method, an unit load (instead of P) is applied at the point where the deflection is desired.
5. What are the assumptions made in the unit load method?
- 1. The external & internal forces are in equilibrium.
- 2. Supports are rigid and no movement is possible.
- 3. The materials is strained well within the elastic limit.
6. Distinguish between pin jointed and rigidly jointed structure.
Pin jointed structure Rigidly jointed structure
- 1. The joints permit change of angle between connected members. The members connected at a rigid joint will maintain the angle between them even under deformation due to loads.
- 2. The joints are incapable of transferring any moment to the connected Members and vice-versa. Members can transmit both forces and moments between themselves through the joint.
- 3. The pins transmit forces between connected member by developing shear. Provision of rigid joints normally increases the redundancy of the structures.
7. What is meant by thermal stresses?
Thermal stresses are stresses developed in a structure/member due to change in temperature. Normally, determine structures do not develop thermal stresses. They can absorb changes in lengths and consequent displacements without developing stresses.
8. What is meant by lack of fit in a truss?
One or more members in a pin jointed statically indeterminate frame may be a little shorter or longer than what is required. Such members will have to be forced in place during the assembling. These are called members having Lack of fit. Internal forces can develop in a redundant frame (without external loads) due to lack of fit.
CE6501 SA 1 Unit 1 2marks & 16marks – Download Here
CE6501 SA 1 Unit 2 2marks & 16marks – Download Here
CE6501 SA 1 All Units 2marks & 16marks – Download Here
If you require any other notes/study materials, you can comment in the below section.
For CE6501 SA 1 Previous Year Question Papers – Click here
For CE6501 SA 1 Important Questions/Answer Key – Click here
For CE6501 SA 1 Lecture Handwritten Notes – Click here
CE6501 SA 1 2marks
Anna University 5th SEM CIVIL SA 1 2marks 16 marks
CE6501 STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS I question bank free download
Anna University CIVIL SA 1 short answers Regulation 2013
CE6501 2marks, SA 1 Unit wise short answers – CIVIL 5th Semester