GE6351 EVS Notes
Anna University Regulation 2013 CSE GE6351 EVS Notes is provided below. Download link for CSE 3rd SEM GE6351 Environmental Science & Engineering Lecture Notes are listed down for students to make perfect utilization and score maximum marks with our study materials.
2.3 FOREST ECOSYSTEM (TERRESTRIAL ECOSYSTEM)
- A forest is an area with a high density of trees.
- World’s total land area is 13,076 million hectares – (Source: FAO; 1989)
- Of which total forests account for about 31% of the world’s land area.
- In India, the forest cover is roughly 19% of the total land area.
- The forest ecosystems are of great concern from the environmental point of view.
It provides numerous environmental services like;
- Nutrient cycling,
- Maintaining biodiversity
- Providing wildlife habitat
- Affecting rainfall patterns
- Regulating stream flow
- Storing water
- Reducing flooding
- Preventing soil erosion
- Reclaiming degraded land & many more….
Apart from environmental values, forest ecosystems have some traditional values as well.
- Fire Wood & Timber.
- Herbs & drugs.
2.3.2 Structure and Function of Forest Ecosystem
I. Biotic components
The various biotic components, representatives from the three functional groups, of a forest ecosystem are:
1) Producer Organisms
- In a forest, the producers are mainly trees.
- Trees are of different kinds depending upon the type of forest developed in that climate.
- Apart from trees, climbers, epiphytes, shrubs and ground vegetation.
- Dominant species of trees in major types of forest ecosystems are:
- Tectona grandis, Acer, Betula, Picea, Pine, Cedrus.
In a forest, consumers are of three main types;
a) Primary Consumers
These are Herbivores which feed directly on producers. Eg:
- Ants, Beetles, Bugs, spiders etc. feeding on tree leaves.
- Larger animals such as Elephants, Deer, giraffe etc. grazing on shoots and/or fruits of trees.
GE6351 EVS Unit 1 notes – Download Here
GE6351 EVS Unit 2 notes – Download Here
If you require any other notes/study materials, you can comment in the below section.
For GE6351 EVS Previous Year Question Papers – Click here
For GE6351 EVS Question Bank/2marks 16marks with answers – Click here
For GE6351 EVS Important Questions/Answer Key – Click here
Anna University 3rd SEM CSE EVS Lecture Notes
GE6351 Environmental Science & Engineering Notes free download
Anna University CSE EVS Notes Regulation 2013
GE6351 Notes, EVS Unit wise Lecture Notes – CSE 3rd Semester