ME6301 ET Syllabus
Anna University Regulation 2013 Mechanical Engineering (MECH) ME6301 ET Important Questions for all 5 units are provided below. Download link for MECH 3rd SEM ME6301 ENGINEERING THERMODYNAMICS Answer Key is listed down for students to make perfect utilization and score maximum marks with our study materials.
Anna University Regulation 2013 Mechanical Engineering (MECH)
3rd SEM ME6301 CA-ENGINEERING THERMODYNAMICS Syllabus
ME6301 ENGINEERING THERMODYNAMICS L T P C 3 0 0 3
• To familiarize the students to understand the fundamentals of thermodynamics and to perform thermal analysis on their behavior and performance.
(Use of Standard and approved Steam Table, Mollier Chart, Compressibility Chart and Psychrometric Chart permitted)
Basic concepts – concept of continuum, comparison of microscopic and macroscopic approach. Path and point functions. Intensive and extensive, total and specific quantities. System and their types. Thermodynamic Equilibrium State, path and process. Quasi-static, reversible and irreversible processes. Heat and work transfer, definition and comparison, sign convention. Displacement work and other modes of work .P-V diagram. Zeroth law of thermodynamics – concept of temperature and thermal equilibrium– relationship between temperature scales –new temperature scales. First law of thermodynamics –application to closed and open systems – steady and unsteady flow processes.
UNIT II SECOND LAW AND AVAILABILITY ANALYSIS 9
Heat Reservoir, source and sink. Heat Engine, Refrigerator, Heat pump. Statements of second law and its corollaries. Carnot cycle Reversed Carnot cycle, Performance. Clausius inequality. Concept of entropy, T-s diagram, Tds Equations, entropy change for – pure substance, ideal gases – different processes, principle of increase in entropy. Applications of II Law. High and low grade energy. Available and non-available energy of a source and finite body. Energy and irreversibility. Expressions for the energy of a closed system and open systems. Energy balance and entropy generation. Irreversibility. I and II law Efficiency.
UNIT III PROPERTIES OF PURE SUBSTANCE AND STEAM POWER CYCLE 9
Formation of steam and its thermodynamic properties, p-v, p-T, T-v, T-s, h-s diagrams. p-v-T surface. Use of Steam Table and Mollier Chart. Determination of dryness fraction. Application of I and II law for pure substances. Ideal and actual Rankine cycles, Cycle Improvement Methods – Reheat and Regenerative cycles, Economiser, preheater, Binary and Combined cycles.
UNIT IV IDEAL AND REAL GASES, THERMODYNAMIC RELATIONS 9
Properties of Ideal gas- Ideal and real gas comparison- Equations of state for ideal and real gases- Reduced properties-.Compressibility factor-.Principle of Corresponding states. -Generalised Compressibility Chart and its use-. Maxwell relations, Tds Equations, Difference and ratio of heat
UNIT V GAS MIXTURES AND PSYCHROMETRY 9
Mole and Mass fraction, Dalton’s and Amagat’s Law. Properties of gas mixture – Molar mass, gas constant, density, change in internal energy, enthalpy, entropy and Gibbs function. Psychrometric properties, Psychrometric charts. Property calculations of air vapour mixtures by using chart and expressions. Psychrometric process – adiabatic saturation, sensible heating and cooling, humidification, dehumidification, evaporative cooling and adiabatic mixing. Simple Applications
TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
- Upon completion of this course, the students can able to apply the Thermodynamic Principles to Mechanical Engineering Application.
- Apply mathematical fundamentals to study the properties of steam, gas and gas mixtures.TEXT BOOKS :
- Nag.P.K., “Engineering Thermodynamics”, 4thEdition, Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi, 2008.
- Natarajan E., “Engineering Thermodynamics: Fundamentals and Applications”, AnuragamPublications, 2012.
- Cengel. Y and M.Boles, “Thermodynamics – An Engineering Approach”, 7th Edition, Tata McGraw Hill, 2010.
- Holman.J.P., “Thermodynamics”, 3rd Edition, McGraw-Hill, 1995.
- Rathakrishnan. E., “Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics”, 2nd Edition, Prentice-Hall of India Pvt. Ltd, 2006
- Chattopadhyay, P, “Engineering Thermodynamics”, Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Arora C.P, “Thermodynamics”, Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi, 2003.
- Van Wylen and Sonntag, “Classical Thermodynamics”, Wiley Eastern, 1987
- Venkatesh. A, “Basic Engineering Thermodynamics”, Universities Press (India) Limited, 2007.
- Kau-Fui Vincent Wong, “Thermodynamics for Engineers”, CRC Press, 2010 Indian Reprint.
- Prasanna Kumar: Thermodynamics “Engineering Thermodynamics” Pearson Education, 2013
If you require any other notes/study materials, you can comment in the below section.
For ME6301 ET Previous Year Question Papers – Click here
For ME6301 ET Question Bank/2marks 16marks with answers – Click here
For ME6301 ET Important Questions/Answer Key – Click here
For ME6301 ET Lecture Notes – Click here
Anna University 3rd SEM MECH ET Syllabus
ME6301 ENGINEERING THERMODYNAMICS Syllabus free download
Anna University MECH ET Syllabus Regulation 2013
ME6301 Syllabus, ET Unit wise Syllabus – MECH 3rd Semester