ME6503 DMM Syllabus
Anna University Regulation 2013 Mechanical Engineering (MECH) ME6503 DMM Important Questions for all 5 units are provided below. Download link for MECH 5th SEM ME6503 DESIGN OF MACHINE ELEMENTS Answer Key is listed down for students to make perfect utilization and score maximum marks with our study materials.
Anna University Regulation 2013 Mechanical Engineering (MECH)
5th SEM ME6503 DMM – DESIGN OF MACHINE ELEMENTS Syllabus
- To familiarize the various steps involved in the Design Process
- To understand the principles involved in evaluating the shape and dimensions of a componentto satisfy functional and strength requirements.
- To learn to use standard practices and standard data
- To learn to use catalogues and standard machine components (Use of P S G Design Data Book is permitted)UNIT I STEADY STRESSES AND VARIABLE STRESSES IN MACHINE MEMBERS 10
Introduction to the design process – factors influencing machine design, selection of materials based on mechanical properties – Preferred numbers, fits and tolerances – Direct, Bending and torsional stress equations – Impact and shock loading – calculation of principle stresses for various load combinations, eccentric loading – curved beams – crane hook and ‘C’ frame- Factor of safety – theories of failure – Design based on strength and stiffness – stress concentration – Design for variable loading.
UNIT II SHAFTS AND COUPLINGS 8
Design of solid and hollow shafts based on strength, rigidity and critical speed – Keys, keyways and splines – Rigid and flexible couplings.
UNIT III TEMPORARY AND PERMANENT JOINTS 9
Threaded fastners – Bolted joints including eccentric loading, Knuckle joints, Cotter joints – Welded joints, riveted joints for structures – theory of bonded joints.
UNIT IV ENERGY STORING ELEMENTS AND ENGINE COMPONENTS 9
Various types of springs, optimization of helical springs – rubber springs – Flywheels considering stresses in rims and arms for engines and punching machines- Connecting Rods and crank shafts.
UNIT V BEARINGS 9
Sliding contact and rolling contact bearings – Hydrodynamic journal bearings, Sommerfeld Number, Raimondi and Boyd graphs, — Selection of Rolling Contact bearings.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
• Upon completion of this course, the students can able to successfully design machine components
- Bhandari V, “Design of Machine Elements”, 3rd Edition, Tata McGraw-Hill Book Co, 2010.
- Joseph Shigley, Charles Mischke, Richard Budynas and Keith Nisbett “MechanicalEngineering Design”, 8th Edition, Tata McGraw-Hill, 2008.
- Sundararajamoorthy T. V. Shanmugam .N, “Machine Design”, Anuradha Publications, Chennai, 2003.
- Robert C. Juvinall and Kurt M. Marshek, “Fundamentals of Machine Design”, 4th Edition, Wiley, 2005
- Alfred Hall, Halowenko, A and Laughlin, H., “Machine Design”, Tata McGraw-Hill BookCo.(Schaum’s Outline), 2010
- Bernard Hamrock, Steven Schmid,Bo Jacobson, “Fundamentals of Machine Elements”,2nd Edition, Tata McGraw-Hill Book Co., 2006.
- Orthwein W, “Machine Component Design”, Jaico Publishing Co, 2003.
- Ansel Ugural, “Mechanical Design – An Integral Approach”, 1st Edition, Tata McGraw-Hill BookCo, 2003.
- Merhyle F. Spotts, Terry E. Shoup and Lee E. Hornberger, “Design of Machine Elements”8th Edition, Printice Hall, 2003.
If you require any other notes/study materials, you can comment in the below section.
For ME6503 DMM Previous Year Question Papers – Click here
For ME6503 DMM Question Bank/2marks 16marks with answers – Click here
For ME6503 DMM Important Questions/Answer Key – Click here
For ME6503 DMM Lecture Notes – Click here
Anna University 5th SEM MECH DMM Syllabus
ME6503 DESIGN OF MACHINE ELEMENTS Syllabus free download
Anna University MECH DMM Syllabus Regulation 2013
ME6503 Syllabus, DMM Unit wise Syllabus – MECH 5th Semester