CS6401 OS Syllabus
Anna University Regulation 2013 Computer Science Engineering (CSE) CS6401 OS Important Questions for all 5 units are provided below. Download link for CSE 6th SEM CS6401 Operating System Answer Key is listed down for students to make perfect utilization and score maximum marks with our study materials.
Anna University Regulation 2013 Computer Science Engineering (CSE) 4th SEM
CS6401 OS-Operating System Syllabus
CS6401 OPERATING SYSTEM L T P C 3 0 0 3
The student should be made to:
- Study the basic concepts and functions of operating systems.
- Understand the structure and functions of OS.
- Learn about Processes, Threads and Scheduling algorithms.
- Understand the principles of concurrency and Deadlocks.
- Learn various memory management schemes.
- Study I/O management and File systems.
- Learn the basics of Linux system and perform administrative tasks on Linux Servers.
Computer System Overview-Basic Elements, Instruction Execution, Interrupts, Memory Hierarchy, Cache Memory, Direct Memory Access, Multiprocessor and Multicore Organization. Operating system overview-objectives and functions, Evolution of Operating System.- Computer System Organization- Operating System Structure and Operations- System Calls, System Programs, OS Generation and System Boot.
UNIT II PROCESS MANAGEMENT 9
Processes-Process Concept, Process Scheduling, Operations on Processes, Interprocess Communication; Threads- Overview, Multicore Programming, Multithreading Models; Windows 7 – Thread and SMP Management. Process Synchronization – Critical Section Problem, Mutex Locks, Semophores, Monitors; CPU Scheduling and Deadlocks.
UNIT III STORAGE MANAGEMENT 9
Main Memory-Contiguous Memory Allocation, Segmentation, Paging, 32 and 64 bit architecture Examples; Virtual Memory- Demand Paging, Page Replacement, Allocation, Thrashing; Allocating Kernel Memory, OS Examples.
UNIT IV I/O SYSTEMS 9
Mass Storage Structure- Overview, Disk Scheduling and Management; File System Storage-File Concepts, Directory and Disk Structure, Sharing and Protection; File System Implementation- File System Structure, Directory Structure, Allocation Methods, Free Space Management, I/O Systems.
UNIT V CASE STUDY 9
Linux System- Basic Concepts;System Administration-Requirements for Linux System Administrator, Setting up a LINUX Multifunction Server, Domain Name System, Setting Up Local Network Services; Virtualization- Basic Concepts, Setting Up Xen,VMware on Linux Host and Adding Guest OS.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
At the end of the course, the student should be able to:
- Design various Scheduling algorithms.
- Apply the principles of concurrency.
- Design deadlock, prevention and avoidance algorithms.
- Compare and contrast various memory management schemes.
- Design and Implement a prototype file systems.
- Perform administrative tasks on Linux Servers.TEXT BOOK:1. Abraham Silberschatz, Peter Baer Galvin and Greg Gagne, “Operating System Concepts”, 9th Edition, John Wiley and Sons Inc., 2012.REFERENCES:
- William Stallings, “Operating Systems – Internals and Design Principles”, 7th Edition, Prentice Hall, 2011.
- Andrew S. Tanenbaum, “Modern Operating Systems”, Second Edition, Addison Wesley, 2001.
- Charles Crowley, “Operating Systems: A Design-Oriented Approach”, Tata McGraw HillEducation”, 1996.
- D M Dhamdhere, “Operating Systems: A Concept-Based Approach”, Second Edition, Tata
If you require any other notes/study materials, you can comment in the below section.
For CS6401 OS Previous Year Question Papers – Click here
For CS6401 OS Question Bank/2marks 16marks with answers – Click here
For CS6401 OS Important Questions/Answer Key – Click here
For CS6401 OS Lecture Notes – Click here
Anna University 4th SEM CSE OS Syllabus
CS6401 Operating System Syllabus free download
Anna University CSE OS Syllabus Regulation 2013
CS6401 Syllabus, OS Unit wise Syllabus – CSE 4th Semester