RCE 501 GE Syllabus
AKTU CIVIL ENGINEERING (CE) RCE 501GE Syllabus for all 5 units are provided Below. Download link for CE 5th SEM RCE 501GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEERING Syllabus is listed down for students to make perfect utilization and score maximum marks with our study materials.
UP Technical University CIVIL ENGINEERING (CE) 5th SEM RCE 501 GE – GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEERING Syllabus
RCE 501 GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEERING
Origin and classification: Preview of Geotechnical field problems in Civil Engineering, Soil
formation, transport and deposit, Soil composition, Basic definitions, Weight volume
relationships, Clay minerals, Soil structure, Index properties, sensitivity and thixotropy, Particle
size analysis, Unified and Indian standard soil classification system.
Soil Hydraulics: Stress conditions in soil- total, effective and neutral stresses and relationships.
Permeability – Darcy’s Law, hydraulic conductivity, equivalent hydraulic conductivity in
stratified soil. Seepage, flow nets, seepage calculation from a flow net, flow nets in anisotropic
soils, seepage through earth dam, capillarity, critical hydraulic gradient and quick sand condition,
uplift pressure, piping;
Soil compaction, water content – dry unit weight relationships. Factors controlling compaction.
Field compaction equipment; field compaction control; Proctor needle method.
Consolidation: Primary and secondary consolidation, Terzaghi’s one dimensional theory of
consolidation, Consolidation test, Normal and Over Consolidated soils, Over Consolidation
Ratio, determination of coefficient of consolidation, Contact pressure
Shear Strength: Mohr-Coulomb failure criterion, shear strength parameters and determination;
direct and tri-axial shear test; unconfined compression test; pore pressure, Skempton’s pore
pressure coefficients. Earth pressure: Classical theories, Coulomb and Rankine’s approaches for
frictional and c-φ soils, inclined backfill, Graphical methods of earth pressure determination,
Stability of slopes , Culman method & Method of slices, Stability number & chart. 
Sub surface structure: Bearing capacity of shallow foundations, SPT, Plate load test; Effect of
Deep foundations: Types of piles, Static and dynamic formulae, Pile group, Settlement of Pile
Group, Negative skin friction.
Text & References Books
1. V.N.S. Murthy – Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering (Fifth Edition)
2. K.R. Arora – Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering
3. Narasinga Rao, B.N.D, “Soil Mechanics & Foundation Engineering”, John Wiley & Sons,
Wiley India Pvt. Ltd., Daryaganj, New Delhi – 110 002.
4. Alam Singh – Modern Geotechnical Engineering
5. Brij Mohan Das – Geotechnical Engineering , CENGAGE Learning
6. I.H. Khan – Text Book of Geotechnical Engineering
7. C. Venkataramaiah – Geotechnical Engineering
8. Gopal Ranjan and A.S.R. Rao – Basic and Applied Soil Mechanics
9. G.V. Rao & G.V.S.S. Raju – Engineering with Geosynthetics
10. P. Purushottam Raj- Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, Pearson Education in
South Asia, New Delhi.
11. Shenbaga R Kaniraj- Design Aids in Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering
12. Gulati, S.K., “Geotechnical Engineering” McGraw Hill Education
(India), Pvt. Ltd., Noida.
If you require any other notes/study materials, you can comment in the Below section.
AKTU 5th SEM CE GE Syllabus
RCE 501GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEERING Syllabus free download
UP Technical University CE GE Syllabus
RCE 501 Syllabus, GE Unit-wise Syllabus – CE 5th Semester